Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Magicians

I was a little iffy on the book The Magicians. It was a relatively good read, and it really felt like a real college for magic in the sense of how the characters behaved. A lot of times I was really comparing it to my own college life. There was the older kids you wanted to hang out with, but seemed to just stay within their own groups, the shy one who had great talent but had low self esteem, and the guy that seemed to live to be obnoxious. I couldn't help but laugh at the fact that I new someone just like every character in the book. In that sense, the book was very well written. However, I also felt that it was a bit slow, and not really exciting. I don't know if that was on purpose, maybe the writer was doing it do get the feel of college classes. Slow, uneventful, learn what you are given, with the occasional fun distraction. One of my favorite parts (don't really know why, probably because it was the first exciting thing to happen) was actually when the beast first appeared in the class. It made me think it was some kind of comparison to when dangerous individuals come into colleges carrying weapons and threatening the students and faculty. I also liked the part when they had to turn into geese in their 4th year for their next lesson. I felt like that was also a comparison to oversea learning. Having gone overseas myself on a school trip, I know it can be pretty tiring (not to the extent of the characters but still) It feels like it's the first time you ever really step out, get away from school and family and see something so new and different that it changes you a little.
Overall, The Magicians was pretty enjoyable. I wouldn't mind continuing the series at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment