Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Understanding comics

Understanding comics was an interesting read. There were quite a few points that the artist made that really made me think about comics in a new light. One of the points that I found really interesting was when he said that when characters are drawn in a more cartoon-ish fashion, people will project themselves onto the character. They imagine themselves as the one having the adventure, and relate to the character more. When the character is drawn more realistically, the viewer will see it as following or watching someone else. At first, I really wasn't sure I agreed with what the artist was saying. However, he managed to make his point by drawing himself more realistic, and asking "would you have listened to me if I had drawn myself like this?" And the answer was no, I probably would have been less likely to listen to him if he had been rendered that way throughout the book. I was pleased that he had managed to prove his point in such a way, and what I liked about this book is that he was able to show and draw what he meant as he was explaining comics.

No comments:

Post a Comment