Sunday, April 15, 2012

Dawn

Dawn was a very enjoyable book for me. I found that the aliens were very fascinating, and the constant internal struggle with the heroine kept the book very gripping. Up to a point I both agreed and got extremely annoyed with Lilith's view on reproducing with the aliens. The aliens were very kind, and I liked them almost immediately. I felt in some cases she was overreacting to what the aliens were doing. They weren't out to do any harm, stop whining. The fact that they want to help, want to do what's best for them and the humans, makes it difficult to dislike them. And then, despite the fact that they're likable, they're also frustrating in their view on what's best for us. For example, when Jdahya said that their people had destroyed the ruins on earth, and Lilith got upset at him. I was also rather upset at the idea of what was left of our old culture being destroyed. Even though he pointed out that she was still alive. A logical answer yes, "you're still alive, why be upset about us getting rid of ruins?" and yet I just felt "That's not the point!". That kind of feeling of being torn between liking these creatures and wanting to slap some sense into them, i felt, was very well done. I really felt like I was always feeling what Lilith was feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment